Legal Secretary – Detroit Office – Full Time
Bodman PLC is one of Michigan’s leading business law firms with more than 150 lawyers and five offices. Bodman has a diverse base that includes individuals and businesses in a variety of industries with emphasis on financial services, automotive, real estate and construction, high tech, manufacturing, health care, and other services.
Job Purpose: Transcribe and type correspondence, memoranda and time records as well as perform a variety of secretarial duties for attorneys, according to established policies and procedures. Maintain positive contact with clients, attorneys and staff, and observe confidentiality of client matters.
Working with us, you will:
- Transcribe and prepare correspondence, memoranda and other legal documents from written and oral drafts; prepare and file legal pleadings; handle projects that may be complex in nature; and maintain records and filing system.
- Work closely with administrative support staff (word processing, office services, receptionists, etc.); proofread and redline documents to ensure accuracy; and ensure that attorney time sheets are submitted timely.
- Input attorney’s time and ensure that timesheets are delivered to appropriate person in a timely manner
- Process bills; proof billing sheets; review and edit bills.
- Opens new files, requests conflict of interest checks with file room records, and maintains all client and general files.
- Update and maintain attorney calendar.
- Maintain good public relations with clients; observe confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
- Work with junior and senior level attorneys on your team with unique practices.
An ideal candidate has:
- A resourceful mindset, with a desire to explore and learn new skills and technology.
- 3-5 years of legal secretarial experience, preferably in more than one practice area including banking or bankruptcy.
- Ability to transcribe legal documents, correspondence and reports from rough draft or dictation at a level of a minimum of 70 wpm.
- Possess excellent proofreading abilities for law office correspondence and legal case matters, and the ability to perform non‐complex arithmetic calculations when verifying calculations on forms and documents.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills – one who can communicate effectively in a courteous and diplomatic fashion as you will service and partner with a diverse group of clients, attorneys and staff.
For immediate consideration send your resume and salary requirements to email@example.com.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Bodman PLC recruits, hires and promotes for all positions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic protected by law.