Bodman PLC is one of Michigan’s leading business law firms with more than 150 lawyers and five offices. Bodman has a diverse base that includes individuals and businesses in a variety of industries with emphasis on financial services, automotive, real estate and construction, high tech, manufacturing, health care, and other services.
Job Purpose: Transcribe and type correspondence, memoranda and time records as well as perform a variety of secretarial duties for attorneys, according to established policies and procedures. Maintain positive contact with your team, clients, attorneys and staff, and observe confidentiality of client matters.
As a Legal Secretary at Bodman, you will work closely with your team members and other administrative support staff (word processing, office services, and receptionists) to:
- Work with junior and senior-level attorneys on your team with unique practices.
- Prepare correspondence, memoranda and other legal documents from written and oral drafts.
- Proofread and redline documents to ensure accuracy of material, grammar and punctuation.
- Input attorney’s time and ensure that timesheets are delivered to appropriate person in a timely manner.
- Processes bills; proofs billing sheets; reviews and edits bills.
- Review incoming mail to determine urgency and work with attorneys accordingly.
- Opens new files, requests conflict of interest checks with file room records, and maintains all client and general files. Conducts periodic review for possible storage of older files; prepares files to be closed.
- Update and maintain attorney calendar.
- Receives clients and visitors; maintains good public relations with clients; observes confidentiality of attorney‐client relationship.
An Ideal Candidate:
- A resourceful mindset, with a desire to explore and learn new skills and technology.
- 3 ‐ 6 years of legal secretarial experience, preferably in more than one practice area including labor/employment real estate or corporate; or additional years of experience within a law firm environment.
- Ability to transcribe legal documents, correspondence and reports from rough draft or dictation proficiently and accurately.
- Possess excellent proofreading abilities for law office correspondence and legal case matters, and the ability to perform non‐complex arithmetic calculations when verifying calculations on forms and documents.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills – one who can communicate effectively in a courteous and diplomatic fashion as you will service and partner with a diverse group of clients, attorneys and staff.
For immediate consideration, e-mail your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Bodman PLC recruits, hires and promotes for all positions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic protected by law.