USCIS Publishes Revised Form I-9
A Workplace Law Client Alert
The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recently published a revised Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9. Employers are required to use Form I-9 to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. The new form can be identified by its revision date, “03/08/2013 N,” appearing in the bottom left-hand corner of the form. Updates to the form include:
- Additional data fields to include foreign passport information (if applicable), telephone number and email addresses.
- More detailed instructions on completing the form and the List of Acceptable Documents an employer may use to verify identity.
- A revised layout which expands the form from one to two pages.
Employers should begin using the new Form I-9 immediately for all new hires and re-verifications, but may continue to use the previous version of the form until May 7, 2013. After May 7, 2013, employers must use the latest Form I-9. There is no need to complete the new Form I-9 for current employees with a properly completed I-9 already on file. Employers can access the new form online by visiting the USCIS website at www.uscis.gov.
For questions or concerns regarding the new Form I-9, contact a member of the Workplace Law Group listed below.
Bodman PLC Workplace Law Group
- Steven J. Fishman, Workplace Law Group Chair (248-743-6070 / firstname.lastname@example.org)
- John C. Cashen (248-743-6077 / email@example.com)
- Aaron D. Graves (248-743-6027 / firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Lauren A. Kwapis (248-743-6048 / email@example.com)
- David A. Malinowski (248-743-6033 / firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Christopher P. Mazzoli (248-743-6066 / cmazzoli@bodmanlawcom)
- Karen L. Piper (248-743-6025 / email@example.com)
- Maureen Rouse-Ayoub (248-743-6026 / firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Charles M. Russman (248-743-6039 / email@example.com)
- Donald H. Scharg (248-743-6024 / firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Jonathan A. Young (248-743-6032 / email@example.com)