The members of Bodman’s Patent Practice Group help clients protect new technologies and products in global markets. We work with clients to develop patent strategies that meet business objectives.
We provide strategic counsel and guidance on domestic and foreign patent procurement strategies and patent portfolio management. We prepare and prosecute patent applications in a wide range of technologies, including mechanical and electromechanical innovations in a variety of industries. We also advise clients on patentability and freedom-to-operate issues and on transactional matters involving the development, use, and ownership of intellectual property assets.
Our clients range from global manufacturers and technology-driven companies to start-ups and entrepreneurs. We have particular experience advising automotive suppliers in developing and implementing comprehensive patent strategies and advising on technology-focused transactional matters.
Members of Bodman’s Patent Practice Group partner with clients on a broad range of activities that help them identify, procure, enforce, and license their patent assets.
Representative services include:
- Managing and developing patent portfolios in the U.S. and worldwide
- Preparing and prosecuting utility and design patent applications to optimize protection coverage, while balancing timing and cost constraints
- Evaluating patent landscapes to identify protection opportunities, competitors, and potential infringers
- Rendering legal opinions on patent validity and non-infringement
- Assisting with trade secret protection measures
- Providing clients with internal training seminars
- Advising on freedom-to-operate issues for new products and services, including collaborative design-around counseling
- Conducting due diligence reviews of patent portfolios for M&A transactions
- Drafting and counseling on joint development agreements, licensing agreements, and various other forms of commercial and technology agreements that involve intellectual property
Representative matters handled by members of Bodman’s Patent Practice Group include the following:
- Advising international Tier-1 automotive suppliers on patent and trademark portfolio development and management matters, including obtaining several patents in key product technologies to strategically expand their patent portfolios
- Advising a Tier-1 automotive supplier on the development and implementation of an intellectual property policy and invention disclosure system
- Drafting and prosecuting hundreds of patent applications and managing filing, prosecution, and maintenance of international patent families
- Representing a venture-backed, medical device company through a complex patent clearance on a miniaturized surgical robot for abdominal surgical procedures
- Assisting in the defense of several oppositions to related European patents that were part of a multi-venue patent enforcement dispute
- Obtaining a patent portfolio for a start-up company that was successfully enforced and later acquired
- Conducting clearance evaluations and preparing and prosecuting patent applications for a Fortune 100 automotive company, including significant work on adjustable seating assemblies and semiautonomous vehicle navigation control systems
- Preparing and prosecuting patent applications on water filtration and ice making devices for home appliance products of a Fortune 500 company